Port Saunders/Port au Choix
Keppel Island Lighthouse, located near the mouth of Port Saunders harbour, was a kerosene-burning lighthouse when it was first built in 1901. The town of Port au Choix is known as the “fishing capital” of western Newfoundland. The National Historic Site preserves one of the most significant Maritime Archaic Indians sites in North America, along with Dorset and Groswater Eskimo communities that are some of the richest found to date, with excellent examples of bone implements, weapons and tools. The Museum of Whales and Things is another must see – 95 per cent of a 46-foot male sperm whale is suspended by nylon from the ceiling of the museum.