Route 430 Parsons Pond
The promise of oil drew people to this community, originally called Sandy Bay. In 1867, the first prospector drilled for black gold but his efforts ran afoul of the French treaty rights. In 1894 the Newfoundland Oil Company struck oil, but the project was abandoned. Between 1916 and 1926, the General Oilfields Company of England operated the wells and a small refinery. The quality of the oil was high, but its quantity was low and these wells were also abandoned. The community is the site of Payne’s Shopping Centre, which opened in 1947, two year before the province entered Confederation.